Elder William Perry's Mission Address

Elder William Neldon Perry
Finland Helsinki Mission

Neitsytpolku 3 A 4 FI
00140 Helsinki
Finland

Send all mail to the mission home above

email:
william.perry@myldsmail.net

Serving from
March 2011 to March 2013



Tuesday, August 14, 2012

August 13, 2012

Hello Family, This week has been very interesting! We have of course been working extremely hard, and trying to help our investigators come closer to Christ. I don't know why, but lately I have reflected a lot on my personal progress in coming closer to Him, and I have noticed extreme changes in myself. I had the opportunity to go on compi exchanges with a brand new missionary in our district! It was so great to be able to work with him. We had a great day together! In the evening we were doing his training program for new missionaries, and I felt we should do some role plays. I did a role play were I was the missionary and he was the investigator, and then we switched. We always do our role plays in Finnish. As I told him a better way to say something in finnish he paused. At first I thought he was getting frustrated with the language, but I didn't say anything and I waited for him to talk. Finally I felt the spirit say there is something wrong. I asked him what was going on. He started to cry, and talked about his struggles as a new missionary, ya know, missing home, not understanding the language, and problems with his companion, the typical problems that arise as a new missionary. A thought came to my mind, "show him what you wrote to your mission president about your feelings upon arrival as a new missionary." I pulled my paper out, and I read it. I wrote something along the lines of, "I don't know if I can do this. Of course I'm not going to give up, but I just don't want to mess up............ on and on and on......." I said, "Elder, would you think I am the same person now as I was when I arrived in the mission field?" He said, "no." Of course I didn't say that in order to brag, but to illustrate the power of the Saviors atonement to change us. I know He does, as we allow Him. I just told him to keep trying, and going. Your doing great, and the Lord loves you. I remember hearing those words when I was having a hard time as a new missionary from President. Anyways, as I listening to him, and tried to comfort him, I felt the Saviors profound love for him. It is something I have never felt before when talking to another missionary. I was able to give him a priesthood blessing. As the power of the priesthood came through me, upon his head, I felt it. I know the Savior lives, and loves us. He is so aware of our current situations and trials, we just need to keep going, and stick with what we know to be true, until we gain a testimony of the things we are not sure about. I don't claim to have all the answers, I promise. I don't claim to be the best missionary in the mission field. In my opinion I am definitely not hahaha. This is were mom says, I beg to differ!! (Insert lovey dovey mommy voice). Thanksssssssssss mom. Bytheway Is it awkward that I still go to the check out counter and buy kids cereal haha! I feel like when I dress up like this, that I scream mama's boy!! Especially whilst carrying my mickey mouse tote bag and trying to contact people. "No I don't live with my mom........ why would you think that....???? Anyways! This next friday or saturday we get change calls. Everyone tells me I'm leaving, and President already told me in an interview that I'm going. I have been here since Christmas! GREAT SCOTT!!! in the words of my father! It is going to be sad to leave, but happy to move on to the next phase! We have been working with our investigator to help him to be baptized! His baptismal interview is this thursday! I am so excited for him! He is so great! This last week we were in a meeting with him, and he was sad. He is struggling quitting the nicotine gum. All of the sudden I felt the spirit testify so strongly to my heart that I needed to make this promise. I said, "I promise you that when you are baptized that the temptations and feelings of wanting to smoke will be gone, and I do it in our Saviors name. I know the Holy Ghost has spoken to my heart, and this is true!." Then Elder Van Geenen came in and said, I know that what Elder Perry said is true. We are the Lords representatives here, and I know that you can be clean." It was so powerful! He is trying so hard to quit it, and the Lord is blessing him because of his faith. I know that the Lord will bless him because of his willingness to keep our commitments:come to church, read the book of mormon, and especially pray. We had another cool experience! Last pday we felt we should contact this lady, and we ended up teaching her about the book of mormon on the street. At first she wasn't very interested, but as we pulled out the questions of the soul paper, and showed it to her she gained a lot of interest. We opened up to the chapter she wanted,and set up a return appointment. When we went to the appointment she had already read all the questions on the paper! I committed her to pray about it to know if it was true, and she looked at me funny. I thought I said something wrong in finnish!!! She said, "I already know it's true..." HAHA so cool! The questions of the soul are so important with conversion! It is so good to hear you all are doing well! I'm doing great, and loving life! love you both, Your Elder ps. can you tell sister Turunen thank you so much for her letter. It made my day, and I absolutely needed it the day I got it! I don't get too many letters, so when I got that one, it really meant a lot! Kiitoksia Suomalaiselle Aidilleni!

No comments:

Post a Comment